Fall 2014 Orientation
Orientation for new students is a two-part program--both parts are required.
Part 1 - New student orientation -- summer advising sessions - June-August
Please see the new student orientation information page for information on how to prepare for and register for your New Student Orientation summer advising session, or call Academic Affairs at 412-675-9070.
Part 2 - Orientation Too !
The week of August 18, 2014, begins the second part of new student orientation, also called Welcome Week. The theme for part two of new student orientation is Building Leaders, Achieving Goals.
Don't forget to pick up your free book, Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. The book is the 2014 selection for the Penn State Reads common reading program.
Please register for Orientation Too!
Tuesday August 19
- International and Puerto Rican student arrival day (see detailed schedule)
- Orientation group leaders move in
Thursday August 21
- 8 am - 5 pm: First-year student residence hall move-in
- TBD: Movie and bonfire
Friday August 22
- 8 am - 9 am: Student and family check-in. Student Community Center Upper Floor, Concourse Area
- 9 am - 10:30 am
- Students meet with their Academic Unit and Adviser (locations will be provided)
- Family members attend Information Panel in the Wunderley Gymnasium
- 11:00 am - 12:15 pm: Academic Convocation in the Wunderley Gymnasium
- 12:15 pm - 1:15 pm
- Students meet the Student Affairs Staff, Multipurpose Room in the Fitness and Cultural Center
- Family members meet the Academic Affairs Staff in the Wunderley Gymnasium
- 1:15 pm - 2:30 pm: Lunch and fun, Student Community Center
- 2:30 pm: Ice Cream Social and family send-off, Buck Lawn
- 7:30 pm: Pool party, White Oak pool
Saturday August 23
This day is an opportunity for students to see what Penn State Greater Allegheny has to offer outside of the classroom. You will meet student leaders who will speak about their experiences, staff to help you navigate around campus. We hope to ensure a positive and fun start to your educational journey at Penn State.
- 9:30 am - 10:30 am: Continental breakfast, meet the Student Affairs staff
- 10:30 am - 11:30 am: Diversity program, Athletic field
- 11:30 am - 12:30 pm: Lunch
- 12:45 pm - 1:30 pm: Meeting with Orientation Leader
- 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm: First-year student competition, Athletic field
- 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm: Shuttles to the Waterfront shopping and entertainment complex
Sunday August 24
- Floor wars
Fall Semester 2014
Building Leaders, Achieving Goals continues.
Each session is designed for students to support their successful transition to college, connecting you to fellow students, academic support services, community outreach, and supporting your effects to succeed with workshops and leadership opportunities.
- September 6
- October 4
- November 1
- December 6
For more information call Academic Affairs at 412-675-9052.